Parkinson’s disease (PD) belongs to a group of conditions called motor system disorders, which are the result of the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells.
The four primary symptoms of PD are:
- Tremor, or trembling in hands, arms, legs, jaw, and face;
- Rigidity, or stiffness of the limbs and trunk;
- Bradykinesia, or slowness of movement; and
- Postural instability, or impaired balance and coordination.
As these symptoms become more pronounced, patients may have difficulty walking, talking, or completing other simple tasks.
PD usually affects people over the age of 60.
LSVT BIG Program
LSVT BIG is a research-based exercise approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD.
The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 20 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor function in people with Parkinson’s Disease following treatment.
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
LSVT BIG = BIG Exercise!
Research suggests that you should NOT wait until you begin to experience disability, impaired function or loss of balance to start exercise-based physical therapy.
LSVT BIG techniques train individuals with Parkinson’s Disease and other neurological conditions to use bigger movements anywhere, anytime in daily living. This empowers individuals by teaching them they have to keep moving and stay active.
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol and is delivered by our LSVT BIG certified physical therapists.
LSVT BIG treatment consists of:
- 16 sessions: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks
- Individual 1 hours sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carry-over exercises
LSVT BIG treatment outcomes include:
- It trains a single target of amplitude (bigger movements)
- It drives intensive and high-effort practice
- It teaches the amount of effort required to produce normal movements
- It translates bigger movements into real-world, everyday activities
- It empowers people with PD with their potential to improve!
LSVT BIG will help you establish a LIFELONG HABIT of BIG PRACTICE!
LSVT BIG will teach you how to avoid inactivity and keep your movements ALIVE during everyday activities. It will help you participate fully and improve the quality of your life.
Reference: LSVT Global, Inc.